Best Business Commentary
“Chuck deserves to go,” says Roger Ehrenberg in SeekingAlpha.com. How can you “avoid running out of money” in your golden years? says Jonathan Clements in The Wall Street Journal.
e Petit Prince
“Chuck deserves to go,” says Roger Ehrenberg in SeekingAlpha.com. It isn’t that Charles Prince “is a bad guy, he just isn’t the right guy to run Citigroup.” True, managing an “unmanageable behemoth” like Citi is a tough task, but Prince’s way “was all wrong.” Asking managers to “make numbers that were not reasonable” led to the “unfortunate behaviors”—see “bad credit decisions”—that rewarded short-term performance. And who pays for those long-term mistakes? “The shareholders. You. And me. And our kids. It sucks.” Just like the protagonist of “Le Petit Prince,” the Citigroup CEO “was here, wide-eyed and optimistic about the future,” but then disappeared “to a place far, far away.” Bon voyage.
How can you “avoid running out of money” in your golden years? says Jonathan Clements in The Wall Street Journal. Start by putting five years’ worth of spending, or “25 percent of your nest egg,” in a cash reserve “cushion”—high-yield savings accounts, short-term bonds, and money market funds. The rest should be for long-term growth, with maybe 50 percent in stocks and 25 percent in bonds, so “sit tight” if those funds “are underwater.” For more income certainty, “delay Social Security to get a larger monthly check” later on. And if you hit 85 going strong, you should consider investing your last investment “bucket” in an income annuity. At that age, the “payout should be handsome.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
Subscribe to the Week