Good Day, Bad Day
A second helping, a friendly beer
OOD DAY FOR: A second helping, after a new government study found that a few extra pounds don’t increase the risk of cancer or heart disease, and may actually protect against death from tuberculosis, emphysema, pneumonia, and Alzheimer’s disease. Being overweight was found to increase the risk of dying from kidney disease and diabetes, however. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: A friendly beer, after No. 2 U.S. brewer Miller and No. 1 Budweiser got in a slugging match over a new Miller ad. The ad pokes fun at Budweiser using the company’s iconic animals: the Dalmatian and the Clydesdale. Bud took out a full-page newspaper ad yesterday featuring a Dalmatian urging Miller to “keep up the bad work.” (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
Subscribe to the Week