Good Day, Bad Day
A second helping, a friendly beer
OOD DAY FOR: A second helping, after a new government study found that a few extra pounds don’t increase the risk of cancer or heart disease, and may actually protect against death from tuberculosis, emphysema, pneumonia, and Alzheimer’s disease. Being overweight was found to increase the risk of dying from kidney disease and diabetes, however. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: A friendly beer, after No. 2 U.S. brewer Miller and No. 1 Budweiser got in a slugging match over a new Miller ad. The ad pokes fun at Budweiser using the company’s iconic animals: the Dalmatian and the Clydesdale. Bud took out a full-page newspaper ad yesterday featuring a Dalmatian urging Miller to “keep up the bad work.” (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- What could happen if the Supreme Court rules against ObamaCare
- These 5 things will definitely happen after Obama moves on immigration
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Meet the 11 condoms of the future selected by Bill Gates
- The psychology of bribery and corruption
- Why are newspaper comics so terrible?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week