Good Day, Bad Day
A second helping, a friendly beer
OOD DAY FOR: A second helping, after a new government study found that a few extra pounds don’t increase the risk of cancer or heart disease, and may actually protect against death from tuberculosis, emphysema, pneumonia, and Alzheimer’s disease. Being overweight was found to increase the risk of dying from kidney disease and diabetes, however. (The Washington Post)
BAD DAY FOR: A friendly beer, after No. 2 U.S. brewer Miller and No. 1 Budweiser got in a slugging match over a new Miller ad. The ad pokes fun at Budweiser using the company’s iconic animals: the Dalmatian and the Clydesdale. Bud took out a full-page newspaper ad yesterday featuring a Dalmatian urging Miller to “keep up the bad work.” (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week