Good Day, Bad Day
Late payments, love beads
OOD DAY FOR: Late payments, after Visa agreed to pay American Express about $2.1 billion to settle an antitrust case effectively decided by the Supreme Court almost three years ago. American Express filed suit against Visa and MasterCard in 2004 after the high court agreed that the two card associations had violated antitrust laws. The suit is still pending against MasterCard. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Love beads, after regulators in the U.S. and Australia pulled popular Chinese-made toy beads from the shelves because when swallowed, the beads release the “date rape” drug gamma hydroxybutyrate. The recall affects 4.2 million toys in the U.S., where they’re sold as Aqua Dots. Two kids in the U.S. went into comas and three in Australia were hospitalized after eating the beads. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Pics or it didn't happen: Millennials are a bunch of selfie-loving skeptics
Subscribe to the Week