Good Day, Bad Day
Late payments, love beads
OOD DAY FOR: Late payments, after Visa agreed to pay American Express about $2.1 billion to settle an antitrust case effectively decided by the Supreme Court almost three years ago. American Express filed suit against Visa and MasterCard in 2004 after the high court agreed that the two card associations had violated antitrust laws. The suit is still pending against MasterCard. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Love beads, after regulators in the U.S. and Australia pulled popular Chinese-made toy beads from the shelves because when swallowed, the beads release the “date rape” drug gamma hydroxybutyrate. The recall affects 4.2 million toys in the U.S., where they’re sold as Aqua Dots. Two kids in the U.S. went into comas and three in Australia were hospitalized after eating the beads. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 10 things you need to know today: September 22, 2014
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Can the U.S. Army degrade and destroy Ebola?
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
Subscribe to the Week