Good Day, Bad Day
Late payments, love beads
OOD DAY FOR: Late payments, after Visa agreed to pay American Express about $2.1 billion to settle an antitrust case effectively decided by the Supreme Court almost three years ago. American Express filed suit against Visa and MasterCard in 2004 after the high court agreed that the two card associations had violated antitrust laws. The suit is still pending against MasterCard. (Reuters)
BAD DAY FOR: Love beads, after regulators in the U.S. and Australia pulled popular Chinese-made toy beads from the shelves because when swallowed, the beads release the “date rape” drug gamma hydroxybutyrate. The recall affects 4.2 million toys in the U.S., where they’re sold as Aqua Dots. Two kids in the U.S. went into comas and three in Australia were hospitalized after eating the beads. (USA Today)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- The uncomfortable truth in The Giving Tree
Subscribe to the Week