Good week for: Grotesque excess, after Manhattan chef Frank Tujague unveiled his version of a bagel with cream cheese. Topped with white-truffle cream cheese and gold-leaf-flecked goji jelly, the bagel is on the menu at the Westin New York hotel for a mouthwatering $1,000.
Bad week for: Meat safety, after a 600-pound cow wandered off a 200-foot-high cliff in Manson, Wash., and crashed down on the hood of Charles and Linda Everson’s speeding Buick. “I tell my wife, ‘It’s a cow!’” said Mr. Everson, 49. “It’s raining cows out here, man!”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Quake comparison: Chile vs. Haiti
- Why baseball is America's most dangerous spectator sport
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
Subscribe to the Week