Good week for: Grotesque excess, after Manhattan chef Frank Tujague unveiled his version of a bagel with cream cheese. Topped with white-truffle cream cheese and gold-leaf-flecked goji jelly, the bagel is on the menu at the Westin New York hotel for a mouthwatering $1,000.
Bad week for: Meat safety, after a 600-pound cow wandered off a 200-foot-high cliff in Manson, Wash., and crashed down on the hood of Charles and Linda Everson’s speeding Buick. “I tell my wife, ‘It’s a cow!’” said Mr. Everson, 49. “It’s raining cows out here, man!”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- The big, gaping hole in the liberal policy arsenal
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- The forgotten victims of the war in Ukraine
- 10 things you need to know today: July 28, 2014
- A gay Mormon's complicated journey
- Why you should really take a nap this afternoon, according to science
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Are there too many good shows on television?
Subscribe to the Week