Should Musharraf go?
Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto urged President Pervez Musharraf to quit after she was placed under house arrest again. Musharraf definitely went too far, said H.D.S. Greenway in The Boston Globe. "The alternative to Musharraf's milita
Former Pakistani prime minister Benazir Bhutto was placed under house arrest again, sparking fresh protests Tuesday and increasing pressure on President Pervez Musharraf to ease his grip on power and restore the country’s constitution.
What the commentators said
Musharraf said he was imposing emergency rule to keep his country from “commiting suicide,” said USA Today in an editorial. But surely martial law is overkill when the threat he’s worried about isn’t “evil-looking extremists” but a bunch of “lawyers in suits, chanting such quaint slogans as: ‘Dictatorship? Not acceptable.’”
Musharraf appears to have “be planting the seeds to his own downfall” by going after the lawyers, said H.D.S. Greenway in The Boston Globe (free registration). “Democracy is not always the best tool for fighting terrorists,” and Musharraf insists ousted Supreme Court Chief Justice Iftikhar Chaudhry was tying his hands. But when a “leader turns on the very institutions that underpin a secular democratic society, then it is the extremists who are most likely to benefit.”
The irony is that “the alternative to Musharraf's military rule is not a mob of radical Islamists,” said Thomas R. Pickering, Carla Hills, and Morton Abromowitz in The Washington Post (free registration). “This is not Iran in the 1970s.” Polls consistently show that in free elections “the result would be a moderate, pro-Western, anti-extremist government” commited to “combating not only al-Qaeda but also the political and military leadership of the Taliban living in Pakistan.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
Subscribe to the Week