Only in America
Assistant Homeland Security Secretary Julie Myers has apologized after awarding first prize in a Halloween costume contest to a white man dressed as an African-American prison inmate. Myers, who heads the Immigration and Customs Enforcement division, even posed for a photograph—subsequently destroyed—with the unnamed employee, who wore a striped prison jumpsuit, dreadlocks, and dark makeup. I deeply regret that this has happened, said Myers. An ICE spokesman stressed that the winning employee was not in blackface but merely wearing makeup darker than his natural skin tone.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
Subscribe to the Week