nly in America
Assistant Homeland Security Secretary Julie Myers has apologized after awarding first prize in a Halloween costume contest to a white man dressed as an African-American prison inmate. Myers, who heads the Immigration and Customs Enforcement division, even posed for a photograph—subsequently destroyed—with the unnamed employee, who wore a striped prison jumpsuit, dreadlocks, and dark makeup. I deeply regret that this has happened, said Myers. An ICE spokesman stressed that the winning employee was not in blackface but merely wearing makeup darker than his natural skin tone.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- How rain helped the Mongols conquer Asia
- True Detective's dangerous lies about satanic ritual abuse
- 10 things you need to know today: March 12, 2014
- 2 proven ways to increase your willpower — courtesy of the Cookie Monster
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
Subscribe to the Week