nly in America
Assistant Homeland Security Secretary Julie Myers has apologized after awarding first prize in a Halloween costume contest to a white man dressed as an African-American prison inmate. Myers, who heads the Immigration and Customs Enforcement division, even posed for a photograph—subsequently destroyed—with the unnamed employee, who wore a striped prison jumpsuit, dreadlocks, and dark makeup. I deeply regret that this has happened, said Myers. An ICE spokesman stressed that the winning employee was not in blackface but merely wearing makeup darker than his natural skin tone.
- Which professions have the most psychopaths?
- 6 photos that Facebook controversially banned
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Is it possible to live forever?
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- 32 TV shows to watch in 2013 [Updated]
- The indignity of canine bath time
- China's massive pollution problem
- Remembering Nelson Mandela: The world's front pages
- How to make the perfect hot chocolate
Subscribe to the Week