GOOD DAY FOR: Selling your Jetta, after Volkswagen took the top spot in Kelly Blue Book’s 2008 rankings of automotive resale values. Volkswagens have retained more than 48 percent of their original price over the past five years, Kelly Blue Book said. The U.S. Big Three carmakers inched up the survey, but none of their brands cracked the Top 10. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Red meat, after a congressional subcommittee released e-mails that raised new doubts on the safety of using carbon monoxide to keep meat red, even after it spoils. The e-mails, from workers at Hormel Foods and Cargill, questioned internal test results that the USDA relied on when it approved the controversial practice in 2004. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Will the Higgs Boson destroy the universe in a cosmic death bubble?
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
Subscribe to the Week