OOD DAY FOR: Selling your Jetta, after Volkswagen took the top spot in Kelly Blue Book’s 2008 rankings of automotive resale values. Volkswagens have retained more than 48 percent of their original price over the past five years, Kelly Blue Book said. The U.S. Big Three carmakers inched up the survey, but none of their brands cracked the Top 10. (The Wall Street Journal)
BAD DAY FOR: Red meat, after a congressional subcommittee released e-mails that raised new doubts on the safety of using carbon monoxide to keep meat red, even after it spoils. The e-mails, from workers at Hormel Foods and Cargill, questioned internal test results that the USDA relied on when it approved the controversial practice in 2004. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- Attack of the invasive species
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week