McCain’s trick question
Sen. John McCain says he respects Hillary Clinton, says Dan Rodricks in his Baltimore Sun blog, but laughing when someone called the Democrats' presidential front-runner a "bitch" was "unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman." Failin
Sen. John McCain says he respects Hillary Clinton, although a CNN anchor blasted him for laughing when a woman asked him, “How do we beat the bitch?” But McCain’s campaign, calling CNN the “Clinton News Network,” is using the dispute to raise money as McCain climbs in Republican polls. (AP in Google News)
What the commentators said
“Unbecoming of an officer and a gentleman,” said Dan Rodricks in his Baltimore Sun blog, “but what can you do? These are desperate times for the Republicans, the party of God, decency and family values.” And misogyny apparently plays well with voters.
McCain was already “surging in the polls” after “being given up for dead,” said John Hinderaker in the blog Power Line. And his sin of failing to fall over “in a dead faint” when a partisan sniped at Clinton, “of course, can only be good for his primary prospects.” That’s good for the GOP race.
It’s a bit ironic that McCain is now accusing the media of trying to “derail his campaign,” said Washington Post media analyst and CNN host Howard Kurtz in the Post’s The Trail blog. CNN may have overdone it a bit, but this is the candidate who was the “media darling” of the 2000 race.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
- The case for killing law school
- Mad Men recap: 'A Day's Work'
- Aereo at the Supreme Court: No matter what, broadcasters lose
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Putin's risky bet in eastern Ukraine
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The Democrats have a mega-donor problem
- 10 things you need to know today: April 21, 2014
Subscribe to the Week