American Gangster is Jay-Z
American Gangster is Jay-Z’s gift to hiphop, said Bomani Jones in Salon.com. “His best album in years—and the best rap album” of the year—has none of the self-indulgent boasts or trendy, chartbusting moneymakers that made recent albums disappointing. “American Gangster sounds like something Jay would do for free, even if no one were listening, even if no one were paying.” Though inspired by Ridley Scott’s film about 1970s Harlem heroin dealer Frank Lucas, Jay-Z’s American Gangster isn’t a soundtrack but a concept album telling its own story. The tracks are thick with ’70s rhythms and sounds, said J. Gabriel Boylan in The New York Observer. “American Dream” mixes “a terrific Marvin Gaye sampling track” with thick strings, and the title track builds on a Curtis Mayfield beat. “Success” and “Roc Boys” celebrate the high life with no-holds-barred beats and “incredibly boisterous” horns, while “Fallen” follows the kingpin’s demise. “Shockingly, the lion’s share of the credit” for the album’s stunning sound goes to Sean Combs, who I thought was washed up, said Jim DeRogatis in the Chicago Sun-Times. Beyoncé, the Neptunes, and Lil Wayne also pitch in. But the all-star cast may be part of the reason the album never becomes cohesive. Despite Jay-Z’s undeniably exhilarating lyrical style, his album “lacks the moral core of the movie, which is a two-pronged look at the corrupting power of capitalism”—something the CEO of hip-hop understandably has difficulty criticizing.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The Pentagon's troubled, expensive new fighter jet
Subscribe to the Week