Hillary: Still in control?
Barack Obama and John Edwards stepped up their attacks on front-runner Hillary Clinton in Thursday's Democratic presidential debate, said David Yepsen in the Des Moines Register, but they "blew it." So much for all the talk of Clinton's "ne
Barack Obama, John Edwards, and the other contenders for the Democrat presidential nomination stepped up their attacks on front-runner Hillary Clinton in a debate in Las Vegas Thursday, hoping to further erode her momentum 50 days before primary voting begins. But this time Clinton fired back. (The Washington Post, free registration)
What the commentators said
Clinton is back, said David Yepsen in the Des Moines Register. After “two bad weeks” the senator and former first lady has “recovered her footing.” Obama and Edwards had a “chance to trip her up some more” after her widely criticized performance in the last debate, but “they blew it.”
Neither “gentle” Obama nor “harsh” Edwards managed to land “a blow,” said Charles Hurt in the New York Post (free registration). In a feat of political jujitsu, Clinton even managed to turn their “jabs into a debate on health care—possibly her strongest suit.” So much for the stories “predicting Clinton’s near-certain demise.”
The night went to Clinton, said Noam Scheiber in The New Republic Online, but “Obama gave as good as he got with Hillary in exchanges over health care and Social Security.” The Illinois senator was “focused, energized, tough, charismatic,” which shows that he’s gaining steam.
Clinton’s “gut instinct is to respond to a punch with a punch,” said Ronald Brownstein in the Los Angeles Times (free registration), which makes people question whether there’s hope for a bipartisan “truce in Washington” if she wins. “Obama, a silky mediator more respected than feared, faces the opposite question: In an age of extreme partisanship, is he tough enough to make peace?”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The real reason conservatives should be outraged that police killed a white youth
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Even critics of the euro didn't see this coming
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The secret to handling pressure like astronauts, Navy SEALs, and samurai
- 8 ways you're probably overspending without even realizing it
- Why the West should accept ISIS as a sovereign nation
- The essential techniques that every home cook should know
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
Subscribe to the Week