Best Business Commentary
The dollar can decline along the Adam Smith path or the Jim Cramer path, says David Ignatius in The Washington Post. The striking Broadway stagehands will probably beat the Hollywood writers back to work, says David Carr in The New York Times.
wo dollar-correction tales
The dollar can decline along the Adam Smith path or the Jim Cramer path, says David Ignatius in The Washington Post. In the “Adam Smith version,” natural market mechanisms help the dollar make its necessary downward slide gradually. China starts saving in other currencies, the declining greenback shrinks our deficit, and then “the dollar eventually will begin to rise again.” But in the “Jim Cramer version,” the dollar’s “gradual adjustment” turns into a “stampede,” fueled by “emotional, volatile traders.” The Fed raises rates, we stop consuming, and the U.S. sinks into a recession. The sinking dollar can be “part of the cure,” but Smith makes the medicine go down easier.
A tale of two strikes
The striking Broadway stagehands will probably beat the Hollywood writers back to work, says David Carr in The New York Times. The stagehands—“400 or so (mostly) beefy guys”—would seem to hold fewer cards than the 12,000 writers, who “fuel a much larger enterprise” with their “creative expertise.” But unlike the writers, “the stagehands have actual leverage” in their ability to shut down “moneymaking entertainment” that can only be seen at a specific time and place. Also, while Broadway producers are losing millions, Hollywood studios don’t seem to mind the strike much and even seem to be holding out to break the writers guild.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
Subscribe to the Week