Novak's secret scandal
Hillary Clinton's "agents" say they have "scandalous information" about rival Democratic presidential candidate Barack Obama, said Robert Novak in the Chicago Sun-Times. Nobody knows what the charge is, or who's behind it, yet we're ta
The presidential campaigns of Democrats Barack Obama and Hillary Clinton traded accusations over the weekend after columnist Robert Novak reported that Clinton’s campaign had scandalous information about Obama but had decided not to make it public. (Des Moines Register)
What the commentators said
It was “agents of Hillary” who spread the word about this “alleged scandal” in the first place, Novak said in the Chicago Sun-Times. Democratic insiders believe Clinton is trying to avoid a repeat of 2004, when candidates Howard Dean and Richard Gephardt traded attacks that proved “mutually destructive,” and paved the way for John Kerry to snag the party’s nomination.
“This is all very strange,” said E.J. Dionne in a Washington Post blog. “We don't know what the charge is or who is actually making it, let alone whether there is anything here at all. Yet it's now all over the news. What does this say about journalistic standards? What does it say about the Obama and Clinton campaigns?”
This marks an “ugly personal turn” for the campaign, said Glenn Thrush in Newsday. After a debate in which Clinton accused her rivals of mud-slinging, Obama went so far as to charge Clinton and her aides with “swift-boating” by planting the story with Novak without so much as naming a source, even an anonymous one.
Americans probably didn’t care much about Novak’s dirt, said Jason Linkins in The Huffington Post. This non-scandal said more about Novak’s “dessicated husk” of a career as a so-called journalist. If he can’t tell the difference between this slime and a real story, he’s farther gone than anybody thought.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Why states should stop limiting the alcohol content in your beer
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- 10 things you need to know today: March 8, 2014
Subscribe to the Week