Hotel of the week: Jia in Shanghai
Jia is the Chinese word for
Jia is the Chinese word for “home,” said Andrew Yang in The New York Times, and guests at this Philippe Starck–designed hotel are made to feel as if they are in a comfortable apartment. The city’s first boutique hotel has just 55 rooms, and guests enter with a private key card that not only enhances privacy but also adds a sense of exclusivity. “Funky” furniture, timber-paneled walls, and a minimalist style create “a series of modern but warm spaces.” The second floor contains an Italian restaurant, and a rooftop bar and lounge is planned.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
Subscribe to the Week