Hotel of the week: Jia in Shanghai
Jia is the Chinese word for
Jia is the Chinese word for “home,” said Andrew Yang in The New York Times, and guests at this Philippe Starck–designed hotel are made to feel as if they are in a comfortable apartment. The city’s first boutique hotel has just 55 rooms, and guests enter with a private key card that not only enhances privacy but also adds a sense of exclusivity. “Funky” furniture, timber-paneled walls, and a minimalist style create “a series of modern but warm spaces.” The second floor contains an Italian restaurant, and a rooftop bar and lounge is planned.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- Your literary playlist: A guide to the music of Haruki Murakami
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week