Studios and writers need to talk
Hollywood studios and writers have agreed to return to the negotiating table, said the Los Angeles Times, but they aren't the only ones suffering because of the writers' strike. The studios might want to give a little, said the Minneapolis Star-Tribune. T
More Hollywood productions, including Johnny Depp’s latest movie project, were put on hold because of the Writers Guild of America strike, although the studios and the writers have agreed to return to the negotiating table after Thanksgiving. (Reuters/Hollywood Reporter)
What the commentators said
The writers aren’t the only ones who are suffering, said the Los Angeles Times in an editorial (free registration). More than a quarter million people work in movie and TV production in Los Angeles County alone. “With so much at stake for so many people, the least studios and writers can do is keep the negotiations going.”
The studios might want to think about giving a little, said the Minneapolis Star-Tribune in an editorial (free registration). “The writers are a tough, creative bunch who, right now, don't have a regular outlet for expression. They can't write for their television shows or movies, so many of them are writing for the union instead,” and they’re winning the public relations war with salvos in blogs and on YouTube.
It’s hard to argue that the writers don’t have a legitimate beef, said Doug Gordon, a member of the union, in Salon.com. Many write for TV shows, whose content continues to make money for the studios in re-runs and online. As long as shows “can still make money” for the producers, why can’t they do the same for writers?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
Subscribe to the Week