The Bottom Line
Ten Southeast Asian leaders signed a landmark charter at the ASEAN summit today that puts the region on the path to creating a regional economic bloc by 2015.
Ten Southeast Asian leaders signed a landmark charter at the ASEAN summit today that puts the region on the path to creating a regional economic bloc by 2015. The bloc is modeled after the European Union—with free movement of goods, services, and investments in the region—but won’t include a common currency or tight integration. The charter also enshrines a commitment to democracy and human rights, even though the signers included a monarch and several military rulers. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Attack of the invasive species
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- How Captain America won over China
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week