The Bottom Line
Ten Southeast Asian leaders signed a landmark charter at the ASEAN summit today that puts the region on the path to creating a regional economic bloc by 2015.
Ten Southeast Asian leaders signed a landmark charter at the ASEAN summit today that puts the region on the path to creating a regional economic bloc by 2015. The bloc is modeled after the European Union—with free movement of goods, services, and investments in the region—but won’t include a common currency or tight integration. The charter also enshrines a commitment to democracy and human rights, even though the signers included a monarch and several military rulers. (Reuters)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week