Only in America
Housewives are now hosting Taser parties to promote ownership of the handy crime-fighting device. In the tradition of Tupperware, cosmetics, and sex-toy parties, groups of women are now gathering for snacks and drinks in a private home while a law enforcement officer introduces them to the portable, nonlethal stun gun, which delivers a paralyzing jolt of electricity. “It’s light, it’s small, it comes in colors,” said Lynne Rigberg, who recently hosted one such party. “It just makes you more confident.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
Subscribe to the Week