Only in America
Housewives are now hosting Taser parties to promote ownership of the handy crime-fighting device. In the tradition of Tupperware, cosmetics, and sex-toy parties, groups of women are now gathering for snacks and drinks in a private home while a law enforcement officer introduces them to the portable, nonlethal stun gun, which delivers a paralyzing jolt of electricity. “It’s light, it’s small, it comes in colors,” said Lynne Rigberg, who recently hosted one such party. “It just makes you more confident.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week