Jesus as an action hero
Director Drew Heriot
A film is currently in the works that explains how Jesus spent his time between the ages of 13 and 30. Director Drew Heriot’s Aquarian Gospel, which is being billed as a fantasy action adventure, suggests that Christ was a mystic and revolutionary who traveled across India during those years. The Bible devotes only seven words to this period in Jesus’ life: “The boy grew in wisdom and stature.”
What the commentators said
Aquarian Gospel has Christ “learning from Buddhism, challenging the Indian caste system, and possibly developing a romance with a young princess,” said Matthew Perpetua in New York Magazine’s blog Vulture. The story may be “rooted in centuries of historical speculation,” but “the plot seems a bit familiar—Jesus Begins, anyone?"
“Leave it to Hollywood to try and fill in those troublesome early years that the gospels do not speak about,” said the blog Answers for the Faith. Yes, some “writings and scrolls from the east have long made claims of visits by Jesus.” But “archeologists and scholars that looked into the claims have always pronounced them as spurious.”
A lot of Christians are going to “get hot under the collar about this” movie,” said the blog Occasional Thoughts on Christian Themes. But once again Hollywood will “unintentionally” drag “the discussion about Jesus into the public arena,” force the church to “interact with the surrounding culture,” and “get people reading the gospels.” In the end, “it will be an instrument in the hands of the living Lord to bring people into His kingdom.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why ABC threw its Bachelor under the bus
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Here's how Iran is covering Russia's invasion of Crimea
- Bill O'Reilly: Obama's comedy is unpresidential, because Abe Lincoln
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Why is American internet so slow?
Subscribe to the Week