It wasn't all bad
An anonymous donor has given a staggering $100 million to a foundation in Erie, Pa., that distributes funds to local charities. Mike Batchelor, president of the Erie Community Foundation, would say only that the donor has been working with the group for years to identify deserving recipients. In recent weeks, 46 charities in the struggling Rust Belt community have been informed of their grants. Kitty Cancilla, who runs a homeless shelter, cried when she learned it will get $2 million. The shelter’s previous largest donation was $25,000. While speculation about the donor’s identity is rife, most folks simply refer to him or her as “Anonymous Friend.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- 29 adorable slang terms for sex (from the last 600 years)
Subscribe to the Week