t wasn't all bad
An anonymous donor has given a staggering $100 million to a foundation in Erie, Pa., that distributes funds to local charities. Mike Batchelor, president of the Erie Community Foundation, would say only that the donor has been working with the group for years to identify deserving recipients. In recent weeks, 46 charities in the struggling Rust Belt community have been informed of their grants. Kitty Cancilla, who runs a homeless shelter, cried when she learned it will get $2 million. The shelter’s previous largest donation was $25,000. While speculation about the donor’s identity is rife, most folks simply refer to him or her as “Anonymous Friend.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- The end of academic freedom?
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
Subscribe to the Week