ood week for: King Juan Carlos of Spain, whose putdown of bombastic Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez at a recent summit of Latin leaders—“Why don’t you shut up?”—has instantly become the most popular ring tone in Spain. About 500,000 people downloaded the king’s insult in one week.
Bad week for: Hubris, after a Manhattan restaurant that introduced a gold-laced, $25,000 dessert as a publicity stunt last week was shut down when health inspectors found the kitchen infested with live mice, flies, and dozens of cockroaches. A red-faced Steven Bruce, owner of Serendipity 3, said, “We’re rectifying it as quickly as we can.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why Good Friday is so important to Christians
Subscribe to the Week