ood week for: King Juan Carlos of Spain, whose putdown of bombastic Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez at a recent summit of Latin leaders—“Why don’t you shut up?”—has instantly become the most popular ring tone in Spain. About 500,000 people downloaded the king’s insult in one week.
Bad week for: Hubris, after a Manhattan restaurant that introduced a gold-laced, $25,000 dessert as a publicity stunt last week was shut down when health inspectors found the kitchen infested with live mice, flies, and dozens of cockroaches. A red-faced Steven Bruce, owner of Serendipity 3, said, “We’re rectifying it as quickly as we can.”
- Are differences in IQ to blame for income inequality?
- Why learning which of your Facebook friends hate you is a great idea
- Australia just scrapped its debt ceiling. America should, too.
- 5 books to read before your 30th birthday
- The indignity of canine bath time
- What to expect when you're expecting (100 years ago)
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Watch The Daily Show pit Pope Francis against Fox News' 'War on Christmas'
- How to dramatically improve your memory
- Why Common Core may not fix our kids' problems with math
Subscribe to the Week