Best Business Commentary
Black Friday is over, so gear up for Cyber Monday, says Money Magazine’s Amanda Gengler in CNNMoney.com “Hardy American consumers have clearly conditioned themselves to shop till they drop” during the holidays, says Daniel Gross in Slate, and this year wi
he sale beat goes online
Black Friday is over, so gear up for Cyber Monday, says Money Magazine’s Amanda Gengler in CNNMoney.com. “Nearly 75 percent of online retailers will offer special promotions” today, and you can peruse the deals at cybermonday-dot-com. The most popular offer is free shipping, which is “especially appealing these days,” with FedEx and UPS charging steep “fuel surcharges.” Remember to comparison shop, “scour the fine print for the return policy,” and only buy from sites with physical addresses and phone numbers. And if you’re at the office, please note that “nearly 75 percent of companies monitor their employees Internet use.”
Economists and the meaning of Christmas
“Hardy American consumers have clearly conditioned themselves to shop till they drop” during the holidays, says Daniel Gross in Slate, and this year will be no different. Economists, citing very real negative data, are predicting a bad year for retailers—like they do every year. But these “Christmas pessimists err by continually viewing holiday shopping as a discretionary item,” while the evidence suggest it is “compulsory at some level,” fed by decades of “social, emotional, and cultural” pressure. “From an economist’s perspective, that may be the true meaning of Christmas.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
Subscribe to the Week