The Bottom Line
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group.
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group. The Virgin-led bid would immediately repay about $22 billion of the $50 billion lent to Northern Rock by the Bank of England, and rename the acquired bank Virgin Money. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 24, 2014
- How foreign aid screwed up Liberia's ability to fight Ebola
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- America's anti-feminist mega-corporations' toxic disregard for women must stop
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
Subscribe to the Week