The Bottom Line
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group.
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group. The Virgin-led bid would immediately repay about $22 billion of the $50 billion lent to Northern Rock by the Bank of England, and rename the acquired bank Virgin Money. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- Rise of the machines
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 10 things you need to know today: October 20, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- It's time to kill school picture day
Blades of glory: America's love affair with lawns
Subscribe to the Week