The Bottom Line
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group.
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group. The Virgin-led bid would immediately repay about $22 billion of the $50 billion lent to Northern Rock by the Bank of England, and rename the acquired bank Virgin Money. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 10 things you need to know today: September 18, 2014
- The Obama administration's nonstop incoherence on ISIS
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The European Union was supposed to end nationalism. It gave it new life instead.
Subscribe to the Week