The Bottom Line
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group.
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group. The Virgin-led bid would immediately repay about $22 billion of the $50 billion lent to Northern Rock by the Bank of England, and rename the acquired bank Virgin Money. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- How a drafting error could doom Obama's carbon regulations
- How the battle for religious freedom became a nonsensical free-for-all
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- Sex can't explain the culture war
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Boyhood's refreshingly unsentimental take on motherhood
- What religious traditionalists can teach us about sex
- 10 things you need to know today: July 30, 2014
Subscribe to the Week