The Bottom Line
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group.
Beleaguered British lender Northern Rock said the British government was backing a takeover bid led by Virgin Group. The Virgin-led bid would immediately repay about $22 billion of the $50 billion lent to Northern Rock by the Bank of England, and rename the acquired bank Virgin Money. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 6 tiny scientific mistakes that created huge disasters
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The myth of the stay-at-home dad
- Uber, and the growing threat of corporate surveillance
- The Hunger Games: Mockingjay — Part 1: 10 major differences between the book and the movie
Subscribe to the Week