Only in America
A New York man whose license plate reads “Get Osama” had the plate recalled by the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, on the grounds that it may offend someone. Arno Herwerth, a retired New York City cop, received the plates two weeks ago, but officials notified him he had to send them back because they violated a ban on plates that are “derogatory to a particular ethnic or other group.” Herwerth said the only group he could imagine being offended were members of al Qaida. “This is unbelievable,” he said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 10 things you need to know today: September 1, 2014
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Hey, grammar nerds! Stop freaking out about 'alot.'
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
- The elusive 'It factor' in presidential politics
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The next pandemic
Subscribe to the Week