nly in America
A New York man whose license plate reads “Get Osama” had the plate recalled by the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, on the grounds that it may offend someone. Arno Herwerth, a retired New York City cop, received the plates two weeks ago, but officials notified him he had to send them back because they violated a ban on plates that are “derogatory to a particular ethnic or other group.” Herwerth said the only group he could imagine being offended were members of al Qaida. “This is unbelievable,” he said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The end of academic freedom?
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Mitt Romney, 2016 frontrunner*
Subscribe to the Week