nly in America
A New York man whose license plate reads “Get Osama” had the plate recalled by the New York Department of Motor Vehicles, on the grounds that it may offend someone. Arno Herwerth, a retired New York City cop, received the plates two weeks ago, but officials notified him he had to send them back because they violated a ban on plates that are “derogatory to a particular ethnic or other group.” Herwerth said the only group he could imagine being offended were members of al Qaida. “This is unbelievable,” he said.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Obama doesn't have a manhood problem — but conservatives certainly do
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Antonin Scalia was right to defend a drug dealer
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why we need a maximum wage
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The sexual politics of Game of Thrones just got enormously worse
Subscribe to the Week