Hugo Chavez vs. the students
Venezuelan student protests have "galvanized the opposition" to Hugo Chavez's "power grab," said The Miami Herald, but voters will have to turn out en masse to stop him from assuming dictatorial powers. What could be more democratic th
Students in Venezuela stepped up their protests ahead of a Sunday referendum on President Hugo Chavez’s attempt to scrap term limits on his rule and assume broad new powers. Polls show support for the proposals falling, but analysts expect it to remain popular enough to pass. (The Christian Science Monitor)
What the commentators said
Venezuelans can either vote “No,” said The Miami Herald in an editorial,or “accept the sweeping loss of political and economic rights that a new constitution will bring.” Fortunately, the students have “galvanized the opposition,” but “voters will have to show up in large numbers to stop the power grab.”
The poll numbers suggest that Venezualans are finally realizing that Chavez’s “international hostility is in their best interests,” said The Dallas Morning News in an editorial. Over mere weeks, Chavez poked the U.S. by urging OPEC to adopt anti-dollar policies, froze relations with Spain because its king told him to shut up, and started a verbal feud with President Alvaro Uribe in neighboring Colombia. Let’s hope a “sound defeat” on Sunday will teach him a lesson in “self-restraint” he “badly needs.”
Calm down, said Venezuelan diplomat Angelo Rivero Santos in the Los Angeles Times (free registraiton). This is not a referendum on establishing a “dictatorship,” as critics claim. The proposals would “speed the redistribution of natural resources” to the needy, and decentralize political power. Besides, what could be more democratic than letting the people decide whether to reform the constitution?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week