Good Day, Bad Day
The Great White Way, shared sacrifice
OOD DAY FOR: The Great White Way, after Broadway producers and stagehands agreed to a tentative settlement, ending the 19-day strike that has shuttered the New York theater district. (AP in Yahoo! Finance) Talks in the four-week-old Hollywood writers’ strike continued for a third straight day, with no breakthroughs reported. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Shared sacrifice, as the White House approved an extra 0.5 percent raise for federal employees living in more expensive areas, rather than a default 12.5 percent pay bump. All civilian employees will get a base 2.5 percent raise. President Bush said the 12.5 percent cost-of-living adjustment was too expensive and “would unacceptably interfere” with our war on terrorism. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
Subscribe to the Week