Good Day, Bad Day
The Great White Way, shared sacrifice
OOD DAY FOR: The Great White Way, after Broadway producers and stagehands agreed to a tentative settlement, ending the 19-day strike that has shuttered the New York theater district. (AP in Yahoo! Finance) Talks in the four-week-old Hollywood writers’ strike continued for a third straight day, with no breakthroughs reported. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Shared sacrifice, as the White House approved an extra 0.5 percent raise for federal employees living in more expensive areas, rather than a default 12.5 percent pay bump. All civilian employees will get a base 2.5 percent raise. President Bush said the 12.5 percent cost-of-living adjustment was too expensive and “would unacceptably interfere” with our war on terrorism. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week