Good Day, Bad Day
The Great White Way, shared sacrifice
OOD DAY FOR: The Great White Way, after Broadway producers and stagehands agreed to a tentative settlement, ending the 19-day strike that has shuttered the New York theater district. (AP in Yahoo! Finance) Talks in the four-week-old Hollywood writers’ strike continued for a third straight day, with no breakthroughs reported. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Shared sacrifice, as the White House approved an extra 0.5 percent raise for federal employees living in more expensive areas, rather than a default 12.5 percent pay bump. All civilian employees will get a base 2.5 percent raise. President Bush said the 12.5 percent cost-of-living adjustment was too expensive and “would unacceptably interfere” with our war on terrorism. (The Washington Post)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Attack of the invasive species
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Which states get screwed worst by the Electoral College?
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week