Best business commentary
Men are becoming happier. Women? Not so much, says David Leonhardt in The New York Times. "Looking for a vote of confidence in the U.S. economy? Look abroad," says Andrew Schneider in Kiplinger.com. Foreign firms will invest $238 billion in U.S.
Our gender happiness gap
Men are becoming happier. Women? Not so much, says David Leonhardt in The New York Times. In a sign of "just how incomplete the gender revolution has been," two new studies show "a growing happiness gap between men and women." Women have "flooded into the work force" in the past 30 years, but they report being less satisfied with their lives. What's changed? "Women now have a much longer to-do list," and they feel inadequate when they can't accomplish everything on it. Meanwhile, men learned to "work less and relax more." Maybe men should try shouldering "their fair share of the household burden," too.
A shot of confidence from abroad
"Looking for a vote of confidence in the U.S. economy? Look abroad," says Andrew Schneider in Kiplinger.com. Foreign firms will invest $238 billion in U.S. business assets and domestic greenfield projects this year. That's the highest level since 2000, "at the peak of the dot-com boom." The U.S. is still "the top destination for cross-border business investment" because investing in the U.S. "pays off" over the long term. Most of the investment still comes from Europe and Japan, but developing countries like Taiwan and India are getting into the game. Who knows? "Bangalore may wind up farming out jobs to Leonia, N.J."
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The Daily Show explains Hamid Karzai's 'Afghan Hustle'
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- 4 life hacks from ancient philosophers that will make you happier
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
Subscribe to the Week