Good Day, Bad Day
An about-face, seniority
OOD DAY FOR: An about-face, after Facebook scaled back its controversial Beacon advertising feature in response to complaints from users. Facebook said that under the new system, members will need to click “OK” to have their online activities—like shopping for Christmas gifts—broadcast to friends. Currently, members have to opt out of having that information shared. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Seniority, as Penn State revealed that 80-year-old football coach Joe Paterno, who has been coach since 1966, earns a base salary of $512,664 a year. That doesn’t count endorsements and other income. But Paterno’s pay looks modest compared with Alabama coach Nick Saban’s $4 million total income, or the $3 million earned by Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops. (The New York Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week