Good Day, Bad Day
An about-face, seniority
OOD DAY FOR: An about-face, after Facebook scaled back its controversial Beacon advertising feature in response to complaints from users. Facebook said that under the new system, members will need to click “OK” to have their online activities—like shopping for Christmas gifts—broadcast to friends. Currently, members have to opt out of having that information shared. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Seniority, as Penn State revealed that 80-year-old football coach Joe Paterno, who has been coach since 1966, earns a base salary of $512,664 a year. That doesn’t count endorsements and other income. But Paterno’s pay looks modest compared with Alabama coach Nick Saban’s $4 million total income, or the $3 million earned by Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops. (The New York Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. is about to sell weapons to Vietnam. That's bad news for China.
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- What the Middle Ages can tell us about the GOP's big charity myth
- An open letter to #brands about Gamergate
- Did the media get Ferguson wrong?
- The most sensible GOP alternative to ObamaCare comes from a Senate candidate who is almost sure to lose
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 'Having it all' has officially jumped the shark
- Did Republicans overshoot on the Ebola panic?
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
Subscribe to the Week