Good Day, Bad Day
An about-face, seniority
OOD DAY FOR: An about-face, after Facebook scaled back its controversial Beacon advertising feature in response to complaints from users. Facebook said that under the new system, members will need to click “OK” to have their online activities—like shopping for Christmas gifts—broadcast to friends. Currently, members have to opt out of having that information shared. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Seniority, as Penn State revealed that 80-year-old football coach Joe Paterno, who has been coach since 1966, earns a base salary of $512,664 a year. That doesn’t count endorsements and other income. But Paterno’s pay looks modest compared with Alabama coach Nick Saban’s $4 million total income, or the $3 million earned by Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops. (The New York Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- On ISIS, neocons and liberal hawks have a 'boy who cried wolf' problem
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How Harry Houdini escaped death
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
Subscribe to the Week