Good Day, Bad Day
An about-face, seniority
OOD DAY FOR: An about-face, after Facebook scaled back its controversial Beacon advertising feature in response to complaints from users. Facebook said that under the new system, members will need to click “OK” to have their online activities—like shopping for Christmas gifts—broadcast to friends. Currently, members have to opt out of having that information shared. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Seniority, as Penn State revealed that 80-year-old football coach Joe Paterno, who has been coach since 1966, earns a base salary of $512,664 a year. That doesn’t count endorsements and other income. But Paterno’s pay looks modest compared with Alabama coach Nick Saban’s $4 million total income, or the $3 million earned by Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops. (The New York Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- California's epic drought
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- Obama knows he can't really 'defeat' ISIS. Americans need to wake up to that reality, too.
Subscribe to the Week