Good Day, Bad Day
An about-face, seniority
OOD DAY FOR: An about-face, after Facebook scaled back its controversial Beacon advertising feature in response to complaints from users. Facebook said that under the new system, members will need to click “OK” to have their online activities—like shopping for Christmas gifts—broadcast to friends. Currently, members have to opt out of having that information shared. (BusinessWeek.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Seniority, as Penn State revealed that 80-year-old football coach Joe Paterno, who has been coach since 1966, earns a base salary of $512,664 a year. That doesn’t count endorsements and other income. But Paterno’s pay looks modest compared with Alabama coach Nick Saban’s $4 million total income, or the $3 million earned by Oklahoma’s Bob Stoops. (The New York Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The world's dumbest idea: Taxing solar energy
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Attack of the invasive species
- 10 things you need to know today: April 19, 2014
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why would a young person today be religious?
Subscribe to the Week