The lesson in Sean Taylor's death
Miami area police are treating the shooting death of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor as the result of a random burglary, said Eugene Robinson in The Washington Post. Maybe now people will stop saying Taylor's violent past led to his death.
Miami area police are treating the shooting death of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor as the result of a random burglary, although a childhood friend said the killer could have been one of many enemies Taylor had on the streets of Miami. (AP in The Boston Globe, free registration)
What the commentators said
Some people “coldly” blamed Taylor for his own death, said Eugene Robinson in The Washington Post (free registration), saying that Taylor’s past run-ins with the law made it clear the killer was someone from the “cesspool of dysfunction” in which he chose to swim. Now that police are calling the shooting a “random” act, let’s hope everyone can grieve for Taylor as simply a young man whose life was cut short—instead of a “character” whose past caught up to him.
Open your eyes, said Jason Whitlock in FOXSports.com. “When shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger.” Taylor was the latest victim of this “Black Klan,” those violent young men whose mentality, which Taylor embraced, serves the same purpose as the white version—keeping black men “uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.”
Taylor’s death was a wake-up call , said Jeff Legwold in the Rocky Mountain News, but not for the reason you might think. He was the second pro football player to be gunned down this year, and two pro basketball players were victims of home invasions this summer, too. No one knows for sure who killed Taylor, but “a high-profile league, filled with high-profile people,” will definitely have to deal with the reality that its players can become “targets.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Chuck Hagel was a huge mistake
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- 5 quick things you can do today to boost your creativity
Subscribe to the Week