The lesson in Sean Taylor's death
Miami area police are treating the shooting death of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor as the result of a random burglary, said Eugene Robinson in The Washington Post. Maybe now people will stop saying Taylor's violent past led to his death.
Miami area police are treating the shooting death of Washington Redskins football player Sean Taylor as the result of a random burglary, although a childhood friend said the killer could have been one of many enemies Taylor had on the streets of Miami. (AP in The Boston Globe, free registration)
What the commentators said
Some people “coldly” blamed Taylor for his own death, said Eugene Robinson in The Washington Post (free registration), saying that Taylor’s past run-ins with the law made it clear the killer was someone from the “cesspool of dysfunction” in which he chose to swim. Now that police are calling the shooting a “random” act, let’s hope everyone can grieve for Taylor as simply a young man whose life was cut short—instead of a “character” whose past caught up to him.
Open your eyes, said Jason Whitlock in FOXSports.com. “When shots are fired and a black man hits the pavement, there's every statistical reason to believe another black man pulled the trigger.” Taylor was the latest victim of this “Black Klan,” those violent young men whose mentality, which Taylor embraced, serves the same purpose as the white version—keeping black men “uneducated, outside the mainstream and six feet deep.”
Taylor’s death was a wake-up call , said Jeff Legwold in the Rocky Mountain News, but not for the reason you might think. He was the second pro football player to be gunned down this year, and two pro basketball players were victims of home invasions this summer, too. No one knows for sure who killed Taylor, but “a high-profile league, filled with high-profile people,” will definitely have to deal with the reality that its players can become “targets.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- How to take the perfect profile picture for online dating, according to science
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The Daily Show's Aasif Mandvi dismantles another ObamaCare myth
Subscribe to the Week