Good week for: Vigilance, after Iraqi soldiers noticed that the bride in a wedding party passing through a checkpoint near Baghdad not only was remarkably ugly but had a 5 o’clock shadow. The bride, as well as the groom and several of the celebrants, turned out to be men suspected of terrorist activities.
Bad week for: Judicial activism, after Niagara Falls, N.Y., City Court Judge Robert Restaino had all 46 people in his courtroom thrown into jail because no one would confess to owning the cell phone that rang during court proceedings. Restaino, who admits he “snapped,” has been removed from his post.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- A scientific fact-check of 2001: A Space Odyssey
Subscribe to the Week