ood week for: Vigilance, after Iraqi soldiers noticed that the bride in a wedding party passing through a checkpoint near Baghdad not only was remarkably ugly but had a 5 o’clock shadow. The bride, as well as the groom and several of the celebrants, turned out to be men suspected of terrorist activities.
Bad week for: Judicial activism, after Niagara Falls, N.Y., City Court Judge Robert Restaino had all 46 people in his courtroom thrown into jail because no one would confess to owning the cell phone that rang during court proceedings. Restaino, who admits he “snapped,” has been removed from his post.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- How to make homemade marshmallow Peeps
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
Subscribe to the Week