ood week for: Vigilance, after Iraqi soldiers noticed that the bride in a wedding party passing through a checkpoint near Baghdad not only was remarkably ugly but had a 5 o’clock shadow. The bride, as well as the groom and several of the celebrants, turned out to be men suspected of terrorist activities.
Bad week for: Judicial activism, after Niagara Falls, N.Y., City Court Judge Robert Restaino had all 46 people in his courtroom thrown into jail because no one would confess to owning the cell phone that rang during court proceedings. Restaino, who admits he “snapped,” has been removed from his post.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The end of academic freedom?
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week