Best Business Commentary
Networking is important, but many “unemployed people make networking missteps, prolonging a job hunt,” says Joann Lublin in The Wall Street Journal. “Until they are more affordable, houses won’t sell,” says Irwin Kellner in MarketWatch, and prices have a
ow not to alienate your job network
Networking is important, but many “unemployed people make networking missteps, prolonging a job hunt,” says Joann Lublin in The Wall Street Journal. First of all, don’t publicly trash-talk your old employer—generally, “broadcasting bad news about your job is a bad idea.” Another “common flub” is inappropriate name-dropping—your prospective employer might dislike the person. If you’ve ignored past entreaties from a potential job contact, apologize before asking for a job. And keep in mind, networking “is supposed to be mutually beneficial,” so offer help while you ask for it.
How far down is the housing floor?
“Until they are more affordable, houses won’t sell,” says Irwin Kellner in MarketWatch, and prices have a long way to fall. From 1984 to 2000, “when lots of homes were bought,” housing prices were 2.8 times the size of median family incomes. Now they are 3.5 times higher, and it is a 20 percent fall in prices to get back to 2.8. If you think that’s too steep a drop, you’re “ignoring how fast home prices rose in the first half of this decade,” doubling in most parts of the country. “Sellers could always hold the line and wait for family incomes to rise,” but they’ll have to wait awhile. In the meantime, people will buy only “if the price is right.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
Subscribe to the Week