Is Jennifer Love Hewitt fat?
Jennifer Love Hewitt fired back at TMZ.com recently, after the gossip website posted a photo of the actress in a bikini, along with the headline,
Jennifer Love Hewitt fired back at TMZ.com recently, after the gossip website posted a photo of the actress in a bikini, along with the headline, “We know what you ate this summer, Love—everything!” On her blog, the star of the film I Know What You Did Last Summer and the TV show Ghost Whisperer wrote, “A size two is not fat! Nor will it ever be.” She added, “To all the girls with butts, boobs, hips and a waist, put on a bikini—put it on and stay strong.”
What the commentators said
Hewitt’s response to this is pretty surprising, said L.A. Vess in GayWired.com. “Most celebrities tend to let such things slide by, refusing to engage in a flame war over comments on their personal lives or appearance.” But not Hewitt—she “decided to come out swinging.”
And why shouldn’t she? said SFGate.com’s blog The Daily Dish. She’s “angry at all the unwanted attention focused on her backside, because although she is happy with her figure,” she realizes that this kind of thing “puts young girls under more pressure over their weight.”
Sure, Hewitt is overweight if you compare her “to the Olsen twins or any of the anorexic stars that the tabloids like to build up,” said the blog Huliq.com. But any reasonable person would agree that she’s “still one of the most beautiful women on TV.”
She’s also somewhat of a hypocrite, said Joanna Clements in the Daily Record. She “looked much skinnier” in a recent ad she did for Hanes. And “despite the airbrushed look of her advert shots, she says she is happy to be a natural, curvy woman.”
It’s pretty easy to criticize, said Dan Calabrese in NorthStarWriters.com. “But I’d wager that the writers taking shots have butts and bellies they wouldn’t display on their own websites.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Is 'feminism' just another word for 'liberalism'?
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- What political elites don't understand about Scotland's push for independence
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
Subscribe to the Week