Good Day, Bad Day
Graffiti artists, the average worker
OOD DAY FOR: Graffiti artists, after thieves have taken out 700 streetlights in Los Angeles to steal 370,000 feet of copper wire, amid soaring copper prices. The city has spent $1 million repairing the lights so far. “If I had an extra million dollars I could put 10 graffiti crews on the streets,” said L.A. Public Works Commissioner Cynthia Ruiz. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: The average worker, as salaries in 2008 are forecast to rise a flat 3.9 percent, just slightly above the 3.5 percent annual inflation rate recorded in October. One-time bonuses and awards are making up more of companies’ compensation packages, but they mostly go to high achievers and top executives. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What is driving the increasingly weird behavior of the polar jet stream?
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Christians have no moral rationale for spanking their children
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- 10 things you need to know today: September 23, 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- Should you hope to die at 75? Absolutely not.
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
Subscribe to the Week