Good Day, Bad Day
Graffiti artists, the average worker
OOD DAY FOR: Graffiti artists, after thieves have taken out 700 streetlights in Los Angeles to steal 370,000 feet of copper wire, amid soaring copper prices. The city has spent $1 million repairing the lights so far. “If I had an extra million dollars I could put 10 graffiti crews on the streets,” said L.A. Public Works Commissioner Cynthia Ruiz. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: The average worker, as salaries in 2008 are forecast to rise a flat 3.9 percent, just slightly above the 3.5 percent annual inflation rate recorded in October. One-time bonuses and awards are making up more of companies’ compensation packages, but they mostly go to high achievers and top executives. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- The new bride who had a horrifying allergic reaction to her husband's sperm
- The odds are 11 million to 1 that you'll die in a plane crash
Subscribe to the Week