Good Day, Bad Day
Graffiti artists, the average worker
OOD DAY FOR: Graffiti artists, after thieves have taken out 700 streetlights in Los Angeles to steal 370,000 feet of copper wire, amid soaring copper prices. The city has spent $1 million repairing the lights so far. “If I had an extra million dollars I could put 10 graffiti crews on the streets,” said L.A. Public Works Commissioner Cynthia Ruiz. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: The average worker, as salaries in 2008 are forecast to rise a flat 3.9 percent, just slightly above the 3.5 percent annual inflation rate recorded in October. One-time bonuses and awards are making up more of companies’ compensation packages, but they mostly go to high achievers and top executives. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- Russia's giant spy ship was a high-tech disaster waiting to happen
- 11 scientific studies that will restore your faith in humanity
Subscribe to the Week