Good Day, Bad Day
Graffiti artists, the average worker
OOD DAY FOR: Graffiti artists, after thieves have taken out 700 streetlights in Los Angeles to steal 370,000 feet of copper wire, amid soaring copper prices. The city has spent $1 million repairing the lights so far. “If I had an extra million dollars I could put 10 graffiti crews on the streets,” said L.A. Public Works Commissioner Cynthia Ruiz. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: The average worker, as salaries in 2008 are forecast to rise a flat 3.9 percent, just slightly above the 3.5 percent annual inflation rate recorded in October. One-time bonuses and awards are making up more of companies’ compensation packages, but they mostly go to high achievers and top executives. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- How Ukraine can fend off the Russians, in 7 simple steps
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
Subscribe to the Week