Good Day, Bad Day
Graffiti artists, the average worker
OOD DAY FOR: Graffiti artists, after thieves have taken out 700 streetlights in Los Angeles to steal 370,000 feet of copper wire, amid soaring copper prices. The city has spent $1 million repairing the lights so far. “If I had an extra million dollars I could put 10 graffiti crews on the streets,” said L.A. Public Works Commissioner Cynthia Ruiz. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: The average worker, as salaries in 2008 are forecast to rise a flat 3.9 percent, just slightly above the 3.5 percent annual inflation rate recorded in October. One-time bonuses and awards are making up more of companies’ compensation packages, but they mostly go to high achievers and top executives. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is the Pentagon stuffing caves in Norway full of tanks?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. government is actually trouncing Ebola. When will it get credit?
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week