Good Day, Bad Day
Wiping egg off your face, football scalpers
OOD DAY FOR: Wiping egg off your face, as social networking entrepreneur Mark Zuckerberg said he had messed up the rollout of Facebook’s controversial Beacon ad service. He said users could now turn off the feature, which monitors members’ online purchases and broadcasts the information to their Facebook friends. (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Football scalpers, after TicketMaster is close to securing a deal to be the official ticket reseller for NFL games. EBay’s StubHub, the official reseller for Major League Baseball tickets, is reportedly mulling a last-minute bid, too. An NFL deal could make TicketMaster more attractive to buyers if its parent company, IAC/Interactive, splits up. (BusinessWeek.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Ban PowerPoint!
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- 16 characters from other languages that make great emoticons
Subscribe to the Week