Will Smith is studying Scientology with his friend Tom Cruise. The actor says he is not committed to any one religious path and still believes in the Christian Bible, “but in all of the experiences I’ve had with Tom and Scientology, like, 98 percent of the principles are identical to the principles of the Bible,” he tells Men’s Vogue. “The Bible says, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And you know, there’s a Scientology principle: Do not create experiences for others that they cannot comfortably perceive.” He adds, “I don’t think that because the word someone uses for spirit is thetan that the definition becomes any different.” Scientology teaches that some of the thetans, or spirits, inside every human being came to Earth from an alien civilization.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- Beware of Splenda: The backlash against artificial sugars
- 10 things you need to know today: October 31, 2014
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week