Will Smith is studying Scientology with his friend Tom Cruise. The actor says he is not committed to any one religious path and still believes in the Christian Bible, “but in all of the experiences I’ve had with Tom and Scientology, like, 98 percent of the principles are identical to the principles of the Bible,” he tells Men’s Vogue. “The Bible says, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And you know, there’s a Scientology principle: Do not create experiences for others that they cannot comfortably perceive.” He adds, “I don’t think that because the word someone uses for spirit is thetan that the definition becomes any different.” Scientology teaches that some of the thetans, or spirits, inside every human being came to Earth from an alien civilization.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Bush vs. Clinton in 2016 is the perfect way to make millennials hate politics even more
- The latent sexism of the male marriage proposal
- This judge is the reason we're still fighting over net neutrality
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The lessons of Japan's latest recession
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- The week's best photojournalism
- How to grow a microscopic alien garden
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
Subscribe to the Week