Will Smith is studying Scientology with his friend Tom Cruise. The actor says he is not committed to any one religious path and still believes in the Christian Bible, “but in all of the experiences I’ve had with Tom and Scientology, like, 98 percent of the principles are identical to the principles of the Bible,” he tells Men’s Vogue. “The Bible says, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And you know, there’s a Scientology principle: Do not create experiences for others that they cannot comfortably perceive.” He adds, “I don’t think that because the word someone uses for spirit is thetan that the definition becomes any different.” Scientology teaches that some of the thetans, or spirits, inside every human being came to Earth from an alien civilization.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- 10 things you need to know today: April 17, 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Texas has been holding this man hostage for 12,600 days
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
- Why would a young person today be religious?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why Holy Thursday is so important to Christians
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
Subscribe to the Week