Will Smith is studying Scientology with his friend Tom Cruise. The actor says he is not committed to any one religious path and still believes in the Christian Bible, “but in all of the experiences I’ve had with Tom and Scientology, like, 98 percent of the principles are identical to the principles of the Bible,” he tells Men’s Vogue. “The Bible says, Do unto others as you would have them do unto you. And you know, there’s a Scientology principle: Do not create experiences for others that they cannot comfortably perceive.” He adds, “I don’t think that because the word someone uses for spirit is thetan that the definition becomes any different.” Scientology teaches that some of the thetans, or spirits, inside every human being came to Earth from an alien civilization.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- This is what happens when Republicans actually enact their radical agenda
- Russia is stealthily threatening America with nuclear war
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- How I dug myself out of debt — and stayed that way
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- The impossible promise at the heart of Scotland's campaign for independence
- If Scotland leaves the union, is Northern Ireland next?
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
Subscribe to the Week