How Fergie kicked crystal meth
Fergie has kicked her drug habit, says Judith Newman in Allure. Unlike many other celebrities, however, she hasn
Fergie has kicked her drug habit, says Judith Newman in Allure. Unlike many other celebrities, however, she hasn’t advertised her struggle with addiction. When her first band, Wild Orchid, broke up in 2001, the platinum-selling singer compensated by doing crystal meth. Her drug-induced flight from reality lasted for years; at one point, she was so out of it that she became convinced that government agents were following her. “I had chemically induced paranoid schizophrenia,” she says. “At one point, I gave myself an ultimatum, because I was absolutely sure the FBI and a SWAT team were coming for me. I said, ‘Okay, if you walk through that door and they’re not out there, then it’s the drugs.’” Fergie kept her pledge and began a regimen of therapy and Narcotics Anonymous. Today she’s sober and credits her recovery in large part to the fact that she didn’t publicly announce she was doing a stint in a celebrity rehab. “The thing that appalls me is when you get these stories from inside rehab—that’s supposed to be your sanctuary. I know we live in a voyeuristic world right now, but how are you supposed to get better when people are constantly leaking stories about you when you’re in rehab? It’s just not conducive to healing.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- Today in history: The birth of the federal income tax
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
Subscribe to the Week