The Bottom Line
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock.
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock. News Corp., which owns 41 percent of Gemstar, backed the deal. Gemstar provides on-screen TV listings for cable providers and publishes TV Guide magazine. Macrovision focuses on antipiracy software for digital media. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- I hate Ayn Rand — but here's why my fellow conservatives love her
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 language habits that reveal your age
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- Why Peter Capaldi has a bigger challenge than any Doctor Who in history
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
Subscribe to the Week