The Bottom Line
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock.
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock. News Corp., which owns 41 percent of Gemstar, backed the deal. Gemstar provides on-screen TV listings for cable providers and publishes TV Guide magazine. Macrovision focuses on antipiracy software for digital media. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Are there dogs in heaven? Let's hope not.
- Hey, bosses: Stop giving bonuses to your employees
- 10 things you need to know today: December 19, 2014
What happened to Randy Quaid?
Subscribe to the Week