The Bottom Line
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock.
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock. News Corp., which owns 41 percent of Gemstar, backed the deal. Gemstar provides on-screen TV listings for cable providers and publishes TV Guide magazine. Macrovision focuses on antipiracy software for digital media. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Yes, Republicans can impeach President Obama
- Why Texas' abortion rates aren't falling as quickly as everyone expected
- Why all drugs should be legal. (Yes, even heroin.)
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 10 things you need to know today: July 29, 2014
- Are there too many good shows on television?
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Comic-Con 2014: Everything we learned about Avengers 2, Batman v. Superman, and more
- The weird obsession that's ruining the GOP
- How to trim $500 from your monthly spending
Subscribe to the Week