The Bottom Line
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock.
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock. News Corp., which owns 41 percent of Gemstar, backed the deal. Gemstar provides on-screen TV listings for cable providers and publishes TV Guide magazine. Macrovision focuses on antipiracy software for digital media. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Sorry Belle Knox, porn still oppresses women
Subscribe to the Week