The Bottom Line
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock.
Software firm Macrovision Corp. agreed to buy Gemstar-TV Guide International for $2.8 billion in cash and stock. News Corp., which owns 41 percent of Gemstar, backed the deal. Gemstar provides on-screen TV listings for cable providers and publishes TV Guide magazine. Macrovision focuses on antipiracy software for digital media. (Bloomberg)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Here comes the Pentagon's newest space plane
- 10 things you need to know today: October 25, 2014
- Let us now praise Billy Joel
- Extreme haunted houses: Inside Halloween's most terrifying new trend
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- Why the government should pay every American child an allowance
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Everything you need to know about the voter ID controversy
Subscribe to the Week