Good week for: Hot pursuit, after a man named Warren Whitelightning stole a Krispy Kreme doughnut truck and led several police cars on an 80-mph chase, leaving a trail of hundreds of donuts rolling down the streets of Madison, Wis. Whitelightning was charged with drunken driving, ramming a police car, and a host of other crimes.
Bad week for: Nervous fliers, after the Australian Transport Safety Bureau reported that more than 90 percent of airline pilots have experienced “spatial disorientation,” a phenomenon that causes them to briefly hallucinate that the plane is moving in a way that it is not, or that they are out on the wing watching themselves fly.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- China's leader is telling the People's Liberation Army to prepare for war
- How I lost all my money
- The religious right isn't retreating — it's reforming
- How to save money: 12 great personal finance tips
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Diagnosing the Home Alone burglars' injuries: A professional weighs in
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 10 things you need to know today: December 22, 2014
- A brief history of the Christmas present
Subscribe to the Week