Good week for: Hot pursuit, after a man named Warren Whitelightning stole a Krispy Kreme doughnut truck and led several police cars on an 80-mph chase, leaving a trail of hundreds of donuts rolling down the streets of Madison, Wis. Whitelightning was charged with drunken driving, ramming a police car, and a host of other crimes.
Bad week for: Nervous fliers, after the Australian Transport Safety Bureau reported that more than 90 percent of airline pilots have experienced “spatial disorientation,” a phenomenon that causes them to briefly hallucinate that the plane is moving in a way that it is not, or that they are out on the wing watching themselves fly.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How the South's ugly racial history is haunting ObamaCare
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- If Democrats abandon immigration reform after Tuesday's likely loss, they will turn 2016 into a debacle
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- The real story behind Deliver Us From Evil
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Feast your eyes on this beautiful linguistic family tree
- What if Leo Strauss was right?
- The culture war finally comes to the Catholic Church
- Stop making fun of philosophy and read some philosophy
Subscribe to the Week