Best Business Commentary
Speculators’ gambles are making high oil prices a “classic self-fulfilling prophecy,” says Paul Roberts in the Los Angeles Times. “Navigating your first holiday season in the workplace can be tricky,” says Shelly Banjo in The Wall Street Journal.
anning for black gold
Speculators’ gambles are making high oil prices a “classic self-fulfilling prophecy,” says Paul Roberts in the Los Angeles Times. The falling dollar is raising U.S. oil prices by “perhaps as much as $20” a barrel, but “that pales against what speculators may be adding to the price.” Oil is especially susceptible to manipulation by speculators, because the market is volatile and “opaque.” And while the size of the “speculative premium” is “a matter of intense debate,” it’s “up to $45 for each barrel, or about $1 for each gallon of gasoline.” There’s “nothing criminal” in this, but it has costs. “Angry motorists,” for one, but it also gives Iran, for example, an extra $5.5 billion every month.
Christmas at the office
“Navigating your first holiday season in the workplace can be tricky,” says Shelly Banjo in The Wall Street Journal. But there are some things you can do—and shouldn’t do—around the holidays. Go to the holiday party, for example, but rather than “spending too much time at the open bar with your friends,” make new contacts and seek out “top-level executives” you wouldn’t otherwise mingle with. If you give your boss a gift, don’t go overboard and avoid religious themes; also, be gracious if you get a gift, and always send “a handwritten thank you card.” And no, you shouldn’t “do your holiday shopping on company time,” even if the office is quiet.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Why is American internet so slow?
- Watch The Daily Show mock Fox News' confused man-crush on Vladimir Putin
- Don't worry: World War III will almost certainly never happen
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Religious liberty should be a liberal value, too
- 10 things you need to know today: March 7, 2014
- Russia's Ukraine invasion is a moral crisis
- The end of academic freedom?
Subscribe to the Week