Best Business Commentary
No matter what the Federal Reserve decides to do about interest rates today, “it will not be able to thaw out the frosty financial markets,” says Irwin Kellner in MarketWatch. “It’s fun being a contrarian but it’s damn hard to make money at it,” says Jame
he Fed’s weak hand
No matter what the Federal Reserve decides to do about interest rates today, “it will not be able to thaw out the frosty financial markets,” says Irwin Kellner in MarketWatch. That’s because “the markets lack confidence,” not cash. For banks, “fear is stronger than greed these days,” and they won’t start lending to each other, “never mind to businesses or consumers,” until the value of mortgage-backed securities is more clear. It may not be enough to “force-feed liquidity into the economy,” but there’s “little else” the Fed can do right now. It has to “draw the line” at some point, though, or it will “create not only a new moral hazard, but the groundwork for a new round of inflation as well.”
The plight of being right
“It’s fun being a contrarian but it’s damn hard to make money at it,” says James Saft in Reuters. That’s because even when they’re right, it doesn’t matter if “the crowd” won’t go along with you. People tend to “stick with what works and back what is popular,” and that has a powerful force in the marketplace. Besides, going against the crowd—correctly calling a bubble in the middle of one, say—can be a career-shortening “loser’s game.” So contrarians “can pat themselves on the back—but usually a pat is the most, or best, they can expect.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- What would a U.S.-China war look like?
- The one simple thing that can make you much more impressive
- The GOP must try to win over African-Americans
Subscribe to the Week