Best Business Commentary
Higher grain prices are pushing up the cost of food worldwide, says Robert Samuelson in The Washington Post, and the “run-up doesn’t seem to be temporary.” “Like everything else during the holidays, deciding whom to tip and how much to give can be a stres
ating biofuel subsidies
Higher grain prices are pushing up the cost of food worldwide, says Robert Samuelson in The Washington Post, and the “run-up doesn’t seem to be temporary.” In rich countries, more expensive food might actually encourage “better eating habits,” but poor countries face “truly grave consequences” like increased hunger and malnutrition. Increased Asian demand for better food has fed the price inflation, but it’s the “reckless,” U.S.-subsidized “extra demand for grains to make biofuels” that have caused prices to spike. And for what? Farmers and ethanol refiners gain, but with biofuel more “politically fashionable” than beneficial, “who else wins is unclear.”
Holiday tipping tips
“Like everything else during the holidays, deciding whom to tip and how much to give can be a stressful experience,” says AnnaMaria Andriotis in SmartMoney. There’s no set formula, but there are “some general rules.” First, make a list: the service providers who work in your home or care for your family come first, then those who “help you look and feel good,” like hairstylists. Next, make a spreadsheet to help you “distribute your tips without going broke.” The Emily Post Institute has a range of common tip amounts. In some cases, a holiday gratuity may not be necessary. But remember, “you’re not only showing your appreciation,” you’re also “guaranteeing good service for the coming year.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- There's a number of reasons the grammar of this headline could infuriate you
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- The Warren Buffett formula: How you can get smarter
- The contentious policy at the heart of Cliven Bundy's armed standoff with the government
- 7 ways to quickly become a master at anything
- How to flirt, according to science
Subscribe to the Week