Good week for: Human calculators, after Frenchman Alexis Lemaire, 27, correctly calculated the 13th root of a 200-digit number in his head in a world-record 70.2 seconds. The correct answer: 2,407,899,893,032,210. “I’m very proud of my brain,” said Lemaire.
Bad Week for: David Leggat of Scotland, who spent four days trapped inside a men’s bathroom. The bathroom, at a private club that had closed for the winter, was freezing cold, so Leggat, 55, kept himself alive by plunging his feet into a sink he filled with hot water. “The only thing I regret,” Leggat said after he was found, “is not getting trapped behind the bar.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Mike Huckabee's head-scratching advice to Christian voters
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- How Scotland's independence movement lost the vote and still won everything
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why so many Christians won't back down on gay marriage
- 13 Urban Outfitters controversies
Subscribe to the Week