Good week for: Human calculators, after Frenchman Alexis Lemaire, 27, correctly calculated the 13th root of a 200-digit number in his head in a world-record 70.2 seconds. The correct answer: 2,407,899,893,032,210. “I’m very proud of my brain,” said Lemaire.
Bad Week for: David Leggat of Scotland, who spent four days trapped inside a men’s bathroom. The bathroom, at a private club that had closed for the winter, was freezing cold, so Leggat, 55, kept himself alive by plunging his feet into a sink he filled with hot water. “The only thing I regret,” Leggat said after he was found, “is not getting trapped behind the bar.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- The rise of the global middle class is our best hope to stop climate change
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- What I learned from totally unplugging and shutting up for three days
- Immigration, charity, and conservatives' unholy assault on Glenn Beck
Subscribe to the Week