Good week for: Human calculators, after Frenchman Alexis Lemaire, 27, correctly calculated the 13th root of a 200-digit number in his head in a world-record 70.2 seconds. The correct answer: 2,407,899,893,032,210. “I’m very proud of my brain,” said Lemaire.
Bad Week for: David Leggat of Scotland, who spent four days trapped inside a men’s bathroom. The bathroom, at a private club that had closed for the winter, was freezing cold, so Leggat, 55, kept himself alive by plunging his feet into a sink he filled with hot water. “The only thing I regret,” Leggat said after he was found, “is not getting trapped behind the bar.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
- How academia's liberal bias is killing social science
- Why Pakistan won't hunt down the terrorists within its borders
- Pope Francis' American problem
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- A brief history of the Christmas present
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- 10 things you need to know today: December 20, 2014
- Sorry, GOP, tax cuts don't pay for themselves
- The week's best photojournalism
Subscribe to the Week