Best Business Commentary
Congress is leaning toward greater regulation for officially sanctioned credit rating agencies, says Richard Beales in BreakingViews.com. Hedge-fund managers should be very afraid, says Daniel Gross in Slate.
Cut ratings agencies loose
Congress is leaning toward greater regulation for officially sanctioned credit rating agencies, says Richard Beales in BreakingViews.com. But it would be better to “end the practice of giving ratings official blessing in the first place.” Investors and government officials don’t use them correctly, anyway, and “tighter regulation” would stifle both government agencies and financial innovation. Sure, “investors would—shockingly—have to rely more on their own analytical work,” but they might demand more “simplicity and standardization” in assessing risk. “That doesn’t sound like such a bad result.”
Bonfire of the hedge funds
Hedge-fund managers should be very afraid, says Daniel Gross in Slate. Popular culture is “a good contrary indicator” of economic trends, and so the coming “onslaught of Wall Street-themed pop culture” is a bad sign. By the time a show or movie hits the screen, “the business phenomenon it describes has frequently gone bust.” So the numerous TV shows about “hedge funds, private-equity firms, and really rich people” suggest that “big, New York-based money is overplayed.” Not convinced? A sequel to Oliver Stone’s Wall Street is in the works. The original “tanked” after its debut in December 1987, right after the 1980s bull market crashed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- 9 Harvard dropouts who became fabulously successful
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- The dangers of our passionless American life
- How China sparked an Asian frenzy for killer submarines
- What is Molly? Everything you need to know about the party drug
- How I became a borderline hoarder
- 5 deliciously creative oats recipes
Subscribe to the Week