Best Business Commentary
Congress is leaning toward greater regulation for officially sanctioned credit rating agencies, says Richard Beales in BreakingViews.com. Hedge-fund managers should be very afraid, says Daniel Gross in Slate.
Cut ratings agencies loose
Congress is leaning toward greater regulation for officially sanctioned credit rating agencies, says Richard Beales in BreakingViews.com. But it would be better to “end the practice of giving ratings official blessing in the first place.” Investors and government officials don’t use them correctly, anyway, and “tighter regulation” would stifle both government agencies and financial innovation. Sure, “investors would—shockingly—have to rely more on their own analytical work,” but they might demand more “simplicity and standardization” in assessing risk. “That doesn’t sound like such a bad result.”
Bonfire of the hedge funds
Hedge-fund managers should be very afraid, says Daniel Gross in Slate. Popular culture is “a good contrary indicator” of economic trends, and so the coming “onslaught of Wall Street-themed pop culture” is a bad sign. By the time a show or movie hits the screen, “the business phenomenon it describes has frequently gone bust.” So the numerous TV shows about “hedge funds, private-equity firms, and really rich people” suggest that “big, New York-based money is overplayed.” Not convinced? A sequel to Oliver Stone’s Wall Street is in the works. The original “tanked” after its debut in December 1987, right after the 1980s bull market crashed.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How Ronald Reagan turned America into a nation of children
- Why Mitt Romney is perfectly poised for a comeback in 2016
- The crusade against Iraq War supporters has forgotten someone: Hillary Clinton
- The Nazi smart bomb that inspired China's most dangerous weapon
- Why is the West so afraid of Islam?
- 8 things the world's most extraordinary survivors can teach you about resilience
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- This week I learned the moon might be littered with dinosaur fossils, and more
- Summer movie guide: All the films you should see in August
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week