Are Mormons Christians?
Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney over the weekend defended his Mormon faith against criticism from some evangelical Christians that it is a cult. "Mormons aren't Christians," said Rod Dreher in The Dallas Morning News. And that's no
Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney over the weekend defended his Mormon faith against criticism from some evangelical Christians that it is a cult—a belief fueled by rival candidate Mike Huckabee’s recent remarks. (FOXNews.com)
What the commentators said
“Mormons aren’t Christians,” said Rod Dreher in The Dallas Morning News. That’s not meant as a “criticism.” It’s just fact that—while Mormons claim Jesus Christ as their savior—“Mormonism rejects foundational doctrines of traditional Christian orthodoxy” and it’s impossible to reconcile the two.
That doesn’t make the “bigoted” attitude any easier to stomach, said Kenneth Anderson in The Weekly Standard. “Am I the only one to find tiresome the endless trop among Christians of this country that they wish they could have (wholesome, good hearted) Mormons without (cultish, anti-Christian) Mormonism?”
Romney’s recent big speech on faith certainly didn’t put the matter to rest, said Michelle Boorstein in The Washington Post (free registration). Some Mormons felt he didn’t go far enough to explain “how Mormonism differs from other faiths that believe in Jesus.” Others were angry that he said anything at all.
Mormonism is an easy mark, said James Carroll in The Boston Globe (free registration). Prophet Joseph Smith’s origins in upstate New York seem “disqualifyingly banal,” and “what Mormons believe is outlandish.” But isn’t “every religion a religion of myth”?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week