Are Mormons Christians?
Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney over the weekend defended his Mormon faith against criticism from some evangelical Christians that it is a cult. "Mormons aren't Christians," said Rod Dreher in The Dallas Morning News. And that's no
Republican presidential contender Mitt Romney over the weekend defended his Mormon faith against criticism from some evangelical Christians that it is a cult—a belief fueled by rival candidate Mike Huckabee’s recent remarks. (FOXNews.com)
What the commentators said
“Mormons aren’t Christians,” said Rod Dreher in The Dallas Morning News. That’s not meant as a “criticism.” It’s just fact that—while Mormons claim Jesus Christ as their savior—“Mormonism rejects foundational doctrines of traditional Christian orthodoxy” and it’s impossible to reconcile the two.
That doesn’t make the “bigoted” attitude any easier to stomach, said Kenneth Anderson in The Weekly Standard. “Am I the only one to find tiresome the endless trop among Christians of this country that they wish they could have (wholesome, good hearted) Mormons without (cultish, anti-Christian) Mormonism?”
Romney’s recent big speech on faith certainly didn’t put the matter to rest, said Michelle Boorstein in The Washington Post (free registration). Some Mormons felt he didn’t go far enough to explain “how Mormonism differs from other faiths that believe in Jesus.” Others were angry that he said anything at all.
Mormonism is an easy mark, said James Carroll in The Boston Globe (free registration). Prophet Joseph Smith’s origins in upstate New York seem “disqualifyingly banal,” and “what Mormons believe is outlandish.” But isn’t “every religion a religion of myth”?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Watch out, China — America is working on dogfighting drones
- How liberals are unwittingly paving the way for the legalization of adult incest
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why America won't have enough money to battle ISIS
- How the Simpsons/Family Guy crossover revealed the worst of both shows
- The troubling persistence of eugenicist thought in modern America
- Why the Chinese military is only a paper dragon
- Libertarianism's terrible, horrible, no good, very bad idea
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
Subscribe to the Week