Good Day, Bad Day
Winging it, Luddite matchmakers
OOD DAY FOR: Winging it, after NBC announced that the Jay Leno and Conan O’Brien shows are going back on the air Jan. 2, with or without writers. The shows aren’t saying what a writerless format might be like, if the Writers Guild strike is still ongoing, but their producers are confident the hosts will rise to the occassion. “They’re comedians,” notes Leno producer Debbie Vickers. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Luddite matchmakers, as online dating site Match-dot-com is launching two new services on Facebook: a “Little Black Book” feature for Facebook members looking for love, and a “Match My Friends” service for those who are hoping their friends or family members will find a special someone. Some people “just need that extra push, if you will,” said Match’s Craig Wax. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 10 things you need to know today: November 24, 2014
- It's official: The religious right is calling it quits
- Obama just kneecapped Jeb Bush and Chris Christie's 2016 prospects
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- What would it take for humans to build a settlement on Mars?
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Want to eliminate the scourge of frat culture? Lower the drinking age.
- The dangerously childish morality of liberal ObamaCare supporters
- House hunting: 7 stunning castles in Europe
- 10 classic Sesame Street moments we wouldn't show today's kids
Subscribe to the Week