Good Day, Bad Day
Winging it, Luddite matchmakers
OOD DAY FOR: Winging it, after NBC announced that the Jay Leno and Conan O’Brien shows are going back on the air Jan. 2, with or without writers. The shows aren’t saying what a writerless format might be like, if the Writers Guild strike is still ongoing, but their producers are confident the hosts will rise to the occassion. “They’re comedians,” notes Leno producer Debbie Vickers. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Luddite matchmakers, as online dating site Match-dot-com is launching two new services on Facebook: a “Little Black Book” feature for Facebook members looking for love, and a “Match My Friends” service for those who are hoping their friends or family members will find a special someone. Some people “just need that extra push, if you will,” said Match’s Craig Wax. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
- Alien conspiracy theorists think the government is on the verge of spilling big secrets
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Republicans love this new health care plan. Too bad it's basically a tax cut for the rich.
- Don't blame Chuck Hagel: Obama's foreign policy has been a disaster from end to end
Subscribe to the Week