Hillaryâ€™s latest hurdle
Hillary Clinton is trying to show voters she's likable, while Rush Limbaugh questions whether "looks-obsessed" voters will elect an "aging woman." The "Old Hag" attack is just one sexist put-down people use to attack powerful
Hillary Clinton has been dashing around Iowa this week in a push to show voters she’s likable and reverse her slide in presidential polls, The New York Times reported Wednesday. The blitz came as conservative radio host Rush Limbaugh asked whether “looks-obsessed” Americans would elect "an aging woman,” after Matt Drudge posted a photo online showing Clinton with bags under her eyes and wrinkles. (Salon)
What the commentators said
It’s “pretty pathetic,” said Maureen Dowd in The New York Times (free registration), that after so much time in the public eye Hillary Clinton has to “wage a major offensive, by helicopter and Web testimonials, to make herself appear warm-blooded.” Clinton has her faults, but this “Old Hag” attack is just the latest “sexist” attempt by conservatives to put down a powerful woman they don’t like.
Rush was only asking whether voters would give a woman a “fair shake” at an age where she has the experience to run, said Ed Morrissey in his Captain’s Quarters blog. He has “sympathy” for women in the face of this “unfairness.” But rest easy—Republican hopefuls from Rudy Giuliani to Fred Thompson also “wear their experiences on their faces,” and they have endured far more digs about age than Clinton.
Come now, said Lisa Takeuchi Cullen in Time.com, it’s silly to suggest that “the only female candidate for president” isn’t “subjected to scrutiny that wouldn’t befall her male competitors.” What about the constant commentary on Hillary’s pantsuits? “Seems like women leaders not only have to be smarter, cooler and more competent than the men; they have to look better, too.”
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The mystery behind China's aggressive push into space
- The best places to find love — and lust — according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's the schedule very successful people follow every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 7 ideas from ancient thinkers that will improve your modern life
- Why GOP reformers are bound to fail
- This simple hack for slicing cherry tomatoes will astound you
- The 5 best and worst states for a well-lived life
- The 6 best low-cost smartphones
Subscribe to the Week