Britney's kid sister pregnant
Britney Spears’ 16-year-old sister Jamie Lynn Spears told OK! magazine that she is pregnant, and that the father is her 19-year-old boyfriend Casey Aldridge. The star of the Nickelodeon show Zoey 101 said that she plans to raise the baby in her home state of Louisiana. (AP)
What the commentators said
It’s nice to know that Jamie Lynn is a good Christian girl, said the Los Angeles Times blog The Envelope. “She has been dating the father for some time and met him in church.” And it looks like “she wants to keep the baby.” What a “great idea!” Somebody really should “buy the Spears family a big box of condoms for Christmas.”
Most 16-year-old girls would be in a lot of trouble for getting pregnant, said Tyler Gray in Radar’s blog. Jamie Lynn gets “a comforting hug from her employer Nickelodeon, the cover of OK! magazine, and a portrayal of the events framed in the soft light of an after-school special.” But she may lose out on “young Hollywood rights of passage such as under-age drinks at Chateau Marmont, extreme weight loss, and rehab.”
“Clearly the turbulent events of her big sister Britney’s life” haven’t “put a damper on Jamie Lynn Spears’ family ambitions,” said the blog Raising Kids. But Jamie Lynn’s pregnancy may get in the way of her mom’s literary ambitions: “Lynne Spears’ planned parenting handbook on how to bring up celebrity children has been put on hold by her publishers as of this week.”
That’s probably a good idea, said the blog Media Take Out. Supposedly, momma Spears allowed her youngest daughter to live with her boyfriend. We’re “pretty dang liberal,” but that’s even too much for us. “Maybe there’s a reason that Britney’s been acting a fool all these years.”
Britney had an interesting way of handling the report about her kid sister, said the blog Hollyscoop. “After the shocking news of Jaime Lynn Spears’ pregnancy was revealed, Britney spent her evening doing some late night shopping.” She was “apparently in a really cheery mood and super sweet to all the associates at the store,” but when she “emerged” she turned to a cameraman and said, “My sister is not pregnant!” Is Britney “in denial”?
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How a degree from Duke University dashed my dreams of buying a home
- This is why you can't trust the NSA. Ever.
- Half the world's population lives in these 6 countries
- Innocent before proven guilty? The bizarre bipartisan rush to clear Rick Perry
- Why you should stop believing in evolution
- ISIS and the echoes of the West's religious terror
- 10 things you need to know today: August 22, 2014
- 4 things NASA can teach you about a good night's sleep
- Don't listen to Paul Ryan: The GOP is still the party of makers and takers
- It's time for the police to rethink 'shoot-to-kill'
Subscribe to the Week