Good Day, Bad Day
The lactose intolerant, hot chocolate
OOD DAY FOR: The lactose intolerant, as milk prices have risen 23.3 percent since the beginning of the year, easily outpacing the 4.7 percent increase in all food and nonalcoholic drinks. The average price for a gallon of whole milk is now $3.80, compared with $2.99 for a gallon of gas. “That’s the reason I cut down on milk consumption—so I can drive my car,” said food price expert John Norris. (CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Milking chocolate, after U.S. and Canadian regulators started separate probes into whether four of the world’s largest chocolate makers—Mars Inc., Hershey Co., Nestle SA, and Cadbury Schweppes PLC—had engaged in price fixing. The chocolatiers stand accused of colluding to set prices in North America to offset rising dairy costs. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like
- Why are so many elderly Asians killing themselves?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Here's proof that Justin Bieber is just as spoiled as you always thought
- Driverless cars may be an environmental disaster
- Why I'm sick and tired of seeing naked women on HBO
- Watch Zach Galifianakis get annoyed at President Obama on Between Two Ferns
- Why Ted Cruz is the real-life Frank Underwood
- The Daily Show has some fun mocking the CPAC power players
- Why is it so expensive to build a bridge in America?
Subscribe to the Week