Good Day, Bad Day
The lactose intolerant, hot chocolate
OOD DAY FOR: The lactose intolerant, as milk prices have risen 23.3 percent since the beginning of the year, easily outpacing the 4.7 percent increase in all food and nonalcoholic drinks. The average price for a gallon of whole milk is now $3.80, compared with $2.99 for a gallon of gas. “That’s the reason I cut down on milk consumption—so I can drive my car,” said food price expert John Norris. (CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Milking chocolate, after U.S. and Canadian regulators started separate probes into whether four of the world’s largest chocolate makers—Mars Inc., Hershey Co., Nestle SA, and Cadbury Schweppes PLC—had engaged in price fixing. The chocolatiers stand accused of colluding to set prices in North America to offset rising dairy costs. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- If a nuclear bomb exploded in downtown Washington, what should you do?
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 10 things you need to know today: April 16, 2014
- How to be more satisfied with your life, according to science
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Can these 4 couples really afford their dream houses?
- Israel and Russia are getting along. Have the neocons noticed?
- Why we can't stop procrastinating, according to science
Subscribe to the Week