Good Day, Bad Day
The lactose intolerant, hot chocolate
OOD DAY FOR: The lactose intolerant, as milk prices have risen 23.3 percent since the beginning of the year, easily outpacing the 4.7 percent increase in all food and nonalcoholic drinks. The average price for a gallon of whole milk is now $3.80, compared with $2.99 for a gallon of gas. “That’s the reason I cut down on milk consumption—so I can drive my car,” said food price expert John Norris. (CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Milking chocolate, after U.S. and Canadian regulators started separate probes into whether four of the world’s largest chocolate makers—Mars Inc., Hershey Co., Nestle SA, and Cadbury Schweppes PLC—had engaged in price fixing. The chocolatiers stand accused of colluding to set prices in North America to offset rising dairy costs. (MarketWatch)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week