Good Day, Bad Day
Moving on the Web, staying put
OOD DAY FOR: Moving on the Web, as Stanley Burrell (a.k.a. MC Hammer) is launching a dance-themed Web video site to compete with YouTube. The former rap star’s DanceJam site has netted $1 million in venture capital so far. “When everybody started raving about the Internet, I always wondered, ‘If it’s so great, why can’t you see my videos on the Internet?’” Hammer said. (AP in CNNMoney.com)
BAD DAY FOR: Staying put, as Americans bought more laptops than desktop PCs in 2007, a first. Faster technology, cheaper parts, and widespread wireless have helped push the shift. “It’s not really a computer anymore,” says curator Dag Spicer at the Computer History Museum in Mountain View, Calif. “It’s a companion, it’s your memory, it’s your teacher and your entertainer.” (Los Angeles Times, free registration required)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Syrian women know how to defeat ISIS
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The one thing the New Atheists get right about religion
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Will Kobani be ISIS's Waterloo?
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 5 baffling foreign-language versions of the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air theme song
- How to make corn dogs
Subscribe to the Week