Good Day, Bad Day
A matchmaker, thumbing hello
OOD DAY FOR: A matchmaker, as Spark Networks is putting itself, and its popular Jewish dating Web site, JDate, on the market. Analysts say suitors like Yahoo!, eHarmony, and Match-dot-com could pay up to $185 million for a successful union. “JDate is the best example of a successful niche dating site on the planet,” said dating industry analyst Mark Brooks. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Thumbing hello, after a barrage of text-messaging on New Year’s Eve caused a traffic jam that caused many messages to arrive late or not arrive at all. Although wireless companies spend billions to upgrade network capacity, their networks can clog up like “any traffic artery during rush hour,” said Joe Farren of industry group CTIA-The Wireless Association. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The U.S. Marines are developing laser weapons. Here's why.
- 3 horrific inaccuracies in Homeland's depiction of Islamabad
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How 1,000-year lifespans could remake the economy
- Why the Supreme Court is allowing Texas to hold an unconstitutional election
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Gamergate has backfired spectacularly on its nincompoop perpetrators
- Ban PowerPoint!
- Rise of the machines
Subscribe to the Week