Good Day, Bad Day
A matchmaker, thumbing hello
OOD DAY FOR: A matchmaker, as Spark Networks is putting itself, and its popular Jewish dating Web site, JDate, on the market. Analysts say suitors like Yahoo!, eHarmony, and Match-dot-com could pay up to $185 million for a successful union. “JDate is the best example of a successful niche dating site on the planet,” said dating industry analyst Mark Brooks. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Thumbing hello, after a barrage of text-messaging on New Year’s Eve caused a traffic jam that caused many messages to arrive late or not arrive at all. Although wireless companies spend billions to upgrade network capacity, their networks can clog up like “any traffic artery during rush hour,” said Joe Farren of industry group CTIA-The Wireless Association. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The 11 worst fast food restaurants in America
- 7 things the world's happiest people do every day
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- What if The Purge was real?
- Why are so many parents being arrested?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- Why America is duty bound to help Iraqi Christians
- The biggest lesson Obama failed to learn from Bush
- 9 things you probably didn't know about the moon
- Israel has only two choices: Eliminate the Palestinians or make peace
Subscribe to the Week