Good Day, Bad Day
A matchmaker, thumbing hello
OOD DAY FOR: A matchmaker, as Spark Networks is putting itself, and its popular Jewish dating Web site, JDate, on the market. Analysts say suitors like Yahoo!, eHarmony, and Match-dot-com could pay up to $185 million for a successful union. “JDate is the best example of a successful niche dating site on the planet,” said dating industry analyst Mark Brooks. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Thumbing hello, after a barrage of text-messaging on New Year’s Eve caused a traffic jam that caused many messages to arrive late or not arrive at all. Although wireless companies spend billions to upgrade network capacity, their networks can clog up like “any traffic artery during rush hour,” said Joe Farren of industry group CTIA-The Wireless Association. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- 14 wonderful words with no English equivalent
- Why I'm a pro-life liberal
- How Captain America won over China
- These stunning travel photos remind us that we're all just amateurs with iPhones
- Attack of the invasive species
- When will the Big One strike California?
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
Subscribe to the Week