Good Day, Bad Day
A matchmaker, thumbing hello
OOD DAY FOR: A matchmaker, as Spark Networks is putting itself, and its popular Jewish dating Web site, JDate, on the market. Analysts say suitors like Yahoo!, eHarmony, and Match-dot-com could pay up to $185 million for a successful union. “JDate is the best example of a successful niche dating site on the planet,” said dating industry analyst Mark Brooks. (The New York Times, free registration required)
BAD DAY FOR: Thumbing hello, after a barrage of text-messaging on New Year’s Eve caused a traffic jam that caused many messages to arrive late or not arrive at all. Although wireless companies spend billions to upgrade network capacity, their networks can clog up like “any traffic artery during rush hour,” said Joe Farren of industry group CTIA-The Wireless Association. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- 10 things you need to know today: September 2, 2014
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- The Obama era is over. The presidency continues.
- Scottish independence is another financial crisis waiting to happen
- Fall movie guide: All the films you should see in September
- How American businessmen are ruining American business — and the U.S. economy
- America created the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria? Meet the ISIS 'truthers'
- Why the West should let Russia have eastern Ukraine
- The 10 best networking tips for people who hate networking
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
Subscribe to the Week