Good Day, Bad Day
Freewheeling, Iowa City bars
OOD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, as GM plans to have self-driving cars on the market within 10 years. GM and other proponents say vehicles that drive themselves could cut down traffic fatalities by 50 percent. The technology is feasible, experts agree. “Now the question is what does society want to do with it?” says GM research head Larry Burns. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Iowa City bars, as the University of Iowa, responding to research on binge-drinking, is offering departments extra money to hold classes on Friday morning. Large lecture classes could gain $10,000 or more. A University of Missouri study found that 54 percent of male students and 43 percent of females were less likely to drink heavily on Thursday if they had class the next day. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- The hilarious hypocrisy of Republicans complaining about the imperial presidency
- Don't argue about politics this Thanksgiving. Just don't.
- After Ferguson: Stop deferring to the cops
- Is it now OK to have sex with animals?
- 10 things you need to know today: November 26, 2014
- In Ferguson, Michael Brown lost his life — and America's police lost the benefit of the doubt
- 7 grammar rules you really should pay attention to
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- In defense of Gwyneth Paltrow
Subscribe to the Week