Good Day, Bad Day
Freewheeling, Iowa City bars
OOD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, as GM plans to have self-driving cars on the market within 10 years. GM and other proponents say vehicles that drive themselves could cut down traffic fatalities by 50 percent. The technology is feasible, experts agree. “Now the question is what does society want to do with it?” says GM research head Larry Burns. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Iowa City bars, as the University of Iowa, responding to research on binge-drinking, is offering departments extra money to hold classes on Friday morning. Large lecture classes could gain $10,000 or more. A University of Missouri study found that 54 percent of male students and 43 percent of females were less likely to drink heavily on Thursday if they had class the next day. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How to be the most productive person in your office — and still get home by 5:30 p.m.
- How our botched understanding of 'science' ruins everything
- 43 TV shows to watch in 2014
- The science of sex: 4 harsh truths about dating and mating
- 6 things the happiest families all have in common
- Why does Fareed Zakaria still have a job?
- 4 simple steaks you can cook in a pan
- Save the world... by changing how you pee
- 7 common estate-planning mistakes
- Does solar energy have a battery problem?
Subscribe to the Week