Good Day, Bad Day
Freewheeling, Iowa City bars
OOD DAY FOR: Freewheeling, as GM plans to have self-driving cars on the market within 10 years. GM and other proponents say vehicles that drive themselves could cut down traffic fatalities by 50 percent. The technology is feasible, experts agree. “Now the question is what does society want to do with it?” says GM research head Larry Burns. (AP in Yahoo! Finance)
BAD DAY FOR: Iowa City bars, as the University of Iowa, responding to research on binge-drinking, is offering departments extra money to hold classes on Friday morning. Large lecture classes could gain $10,000 or more. A University of Missouri study found that 54 percent of male students and 43 percent of females were less likely to drink heavily on Thursday if they had class the next day. (The Wall Street Journal)
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- Why is American internet so slow?
- 7 ways to be the most interesting person in any room
- Colorado’s new ‘drive high, get a DUI’ commercials are actually pretty clever
- What would a U.S.-Russia war look like?
- What the collapse of the Ming Dynasty can tell us about American decline
- Who are the real gay marriage bigots?
- Ukraine's fraught relationship with Russia: A brief history
- 22 TV shows to watch in 2014
- 10 things you need to know today: March 9, 2014
- This energy source could solve all of our problems — so why is no one talking about it?
Subscribe to the Week