Close call in the Gulf
The Bush administration warned Iran to stop provoking the U.S. after Iranian boats threatened American naval ships. The last thing the world needs is "an avoidable, or accidental" fight between the U.S. and Iran in the Persian Gulf. With oil pri
Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Tuesday warned Iran to stop “provocations” against the U.S. after five armed Iranian Revolutionary Guard boats threatened three American warships entering the Persian Gulf through the Strait of Hormuz. (AFP via Google)
What the commentators said
The Iranian boats turned away just in time to avoid being blown to bits, said The Boston Globe in an editorial (free registration). But the incident was also a close call for the U.S. and the world. The last thing anyone needs is an avoidable, or accidental, military conflict in the gulf between the United States and Iran.
Tehran was bound to remind the world at some point that it is the most dangerous “mess” on the planet, said Robert Baer in Time.com. “And the Iranians chose Hormuz, the only real egress for Gulf oil, to remind us that they have their hand on the world's oil spigot.” Iran is determined to “turn back the clock” and end Western domination of the region, and, with oil prices in the stratosphere, it has chosen the perfect spot to “draw a line in the sand.”
“No doubt, Iran was trying to send a message to President Bush as he prepared for his first extended trip to the Middle East,” said the New York Post in an editorial (free registration). Bush has made no secret of his determination to stop Iran from developing a nuclear bomb, but “the region is increasingly doubtful of America's willingness to confront Tehran.” The next time the Navy should blow the Iranians out of the water to send a response they’ll understand.
THE WEEK'S AUDIOPHILE PODCASTS: LISTEN SMARTER
MOST POPULAR ON THE WEEK
- How my boyfriend and I learned to live on one income
- He said he was leaving. She ignored him.
- Why Texas Republicans may want to cool the anti-Obama land-grab talk
- Why the poor's investment of choice is so alarming
- Why China's Communist Party is headed for collapse
- 31 TV shows to watch in 2014
- Why atheism doesn't have the upper hand over religion
- Why conservatives see rural America as the 'real' America
- How to make perfect fried rice in 6 easy steps
- Affirmative action is doomed. Here's what progressives should do about it.
Subscribe to the Week